The Best Hardscape Products for Your Patio
Building a patio is more than just setting up some furniture and decorating it. It’s all about transforming your design and making sure it matches the vision you have in your head. Therefore, picking the right hardscape materials for your patio project can make or break your design.
However, there are several factors you need to consider. It depends on your design aesthetic as well as the functionality of the materials. To help you choose the right product, we’ll give you a rundown of the most ideal hardscape materials including pavers and flagstone which are both available at Ornamental Stone.
Feel free to reach out to us and discuss your options and requirements. This will help determine which hardscape will work for your patio best.
Using a Natural Flagstone for Your Patio
Flagstone is a type of natural sedimentary rock that comes in a variety of layers and irregular shapes. However, this material can be cut to match your aesthetic requirements. There are different types of natural flagstone which come from different quarried locations. Therefore, these stones also have varying colours and shades.
Some of the most popular natural stone in Calgary are Rundle Rock, Blue Limestone and Charmin. The most common shades of natural stone fall under a bluish-gray, yellowish-brown, and red. Since flagstone is a natural material, the colours may be limited and mostly depends on the location where the stones are quarried. Each area has its own texture, quality, and colour.
This also means that the more unique the colour is, the more it will cost. Also, since natural stones have layers, they should not be exposed to natural elements that can damage their surface. These elements include direct sunlight, water, and dew among many others.
Advantages of Using Flagstone
- Wide range of materials – Natural stones come in a variety of materials such as flagstone, limestone, slate, travertine, and bluestone.
- Looks natural – Natural stones are popular among landscaping professionals because it has a natural appearance which works with most design aesthetics.
- Flexible – The stones are cut into various sizes of squares, rectangles, and irregular shapes. The great thing about having uneven sizes and shapes is that craftsmen have the option to be more creative with the stones they are using. They can cut the pieces and create a certain pattern to make it appear even.
- The option of using regular or irregular shapes – This offers landscaping professionals more options in terms of design. The irregular stones also mean that they will not always perfectly fit together but instead create a more natural look.
How to Protect Natural Stone
The easiest way to protect flagstone from natural elements is to apply a sealer after installation. The best type of sealer is a water-based natural sealer. This allows the stone some to catch some air and delays the effects after being exposed to natural elements.
It may require some resealing after some time. However, it will all depend on various factors affecting the stone whether it is regularly exposed to sunlight, foot, and vehicle traffic.
At the same time, there are also different sealing applications used. Each application has a different life expectancy. Nonetheless, most stones may need resealing after every two to four years. It will all depend on your specific situation.
Using Paving Stones for Your Patio
There are manufactured concrete patio pavers available in various patterns and sizes. These stones are already pre-cut and have passed standards of strength and correct measurements. The height of the paving stones has tight variance allowing for easy installation.
Pavers are more suitable for designs that require a uniform look, especially in the spacing. Some of the most popular paving stones in Calgary are Terra Nova Slab, Holland Paving Stone, and Lexington Outdoor Tile among many others.
Advantages of Using Pavers
- Less expensive – Pavers are often less expensive to install. At the same time, doesn’t require hard labour when installing it. Since the materials have the same thickness and size, they are easier to layout with sand or gravel and don’t require mortar.
- Has a variety of aesthetics – Pavers come in different colours and appearances. Some materials. May even look similar to natural stones. Since there is a huge range of patterns and sizes, it’s easier to create a design with pavers.
- Doesn’t absorb too much heat – Concrete pavers don’t easily get as hot when exposed under the sun. Therefore, making it an ideal material for a pool deck.
Pavers and flagstone follow the same preparation when it comes to installing these hardscapes on your patio. However, the main difference is the base layer and the level of expertise when installing it. Since pavers are already manufactured to fit certain measurements, it doesn’t require much cutting on site.
Flagstone, on the other hand, requires an expert to cut the materials, especially since the stones have irregular shapes. Both types of materials require some minor maintenance.
The Final Decision
Both pavers and flagstone are excellent choices when it comes to picking the right hardscape material to build your patio. These hardscape materials create a huge difference in your outdoor space and provide a significant impact in terms of appeal. At the same time, it adds more value to your property. Ornamental Stone stocks a wide range of landscaping supplies to finish your next project!