The right planning of your flower bed design can go a long way in making your garden look like it’s in bloom all year round.
Designing a flower bed sounds a little daunting if you haven’t done it before. However, it’s relatively simple to create one that will make your yard stand out. Flower beds are surprisingly customizable, and you can easily highlight parts for some great curbside appeal.
Designing Your Flower-Bed
You will want to consider a few key points before getting started.
- The shape and size of your yard: The size of your yard determines the overall layout of the flower-bed. Ideally, you need to select a central spot, something that would immediately catch the eye, and then build further using that as a base.
- Clearing the area: Clearing the designated area of any rocks, grass, debris, or weeds is essential.
- Blooming Season: Different flowers bloom at different seasons, and you can easily make your garden look desolate in some seasons if you don’t plan. Make sure that you select plants that bloom alternatively, keeping your flower bed in an ever-bloom.
- Plant Arrangement: Arranging your plants is essential. It’s usually the best idea to arrange them by height, ensuring that all of them are visible at the same time and give your garden a fuller and more vibrant look.
- Mix it up: Ensure that you don’t plant too many plants of a certain kind in the same place. The right distribution will give your garden a more natural look, ensuring no part falls empty during any season.
- Odd numbers: We recommend using an odd number of plants because it seems more natural, ensuring that you still spread them out evenly.
- Decoration and Customization: Of course, you can always decorate and customize your flower bed. You can use various types of mulch or try out decorative materials such as polished pebbles.
Choose a Central Location
Garden experts recommend choosing a ‘focal point’; this is a central location that first catches the eye you want to build around.
There are two benefits to this: Firstly, it helps you design your garden accordingly. Since you know the overall direction you need to take, you plan the rest of the flower-bed accordingly.
Another benefit is that using a focal point will provide a more significant visual impact. Although you still need to work hard on the rest of your yard, it helps you have a vision that you can work to compliment.
You might also opt to go for a stone-bed for the focal point. Building a stone-bed might seem like a challenging task, but it’s quite easy; click here to check out our guide on how to install the right stone-bed for your garden!
Time to Get Started
Flower beds are incredibly customizable and forgiving; select the right plants and start playing around with the placement. It will come together sooner than you would think!
Besides that, you can also use other landscape supplies to ensure that your flower bed can draw even more attention. One of the best ideas is to use mulch generously, which highlights the flowers through contrast. The right soil will ensure your flowers get the proper nutrients to bloom their fullest. Ornamental Store provides you with the best quality soil-mix that ensures the health of your plants.
Finally, keep in mind that your garden can only be in bloom with proper care and attention. This starts with selecting the right soil-mix and designing your flower-bed accordingly.