Retaining Walls Calgary
Retaining walls can be an excellent addition to your yard and will benefit both the function and appearance of your overall landscape design.
Retaining walls can be of two types depending on the material used; precast concrete block retaining walls and natural stone (ledgestone and boulders). Both are great options. However, precast concrete blocks from a company like Barkman Concrete can be easier to work with for a DIY project. There are concrete blocks that mimic the look of natural stone and generally are cheaper and less prone to eroding once laid versus natural stone.
Retaining Wall Benefits
There are several benefits retaining walls can provide; some of the most prominent include:
- Increase Functional Area: Often, at least a part of the garden has a slope, making it hard to do anything there, thus rendering that part useless. However, such sloping features can easily be brought into a functional garden area with the help of a retaining wall.
- Flood Protection Measure: Another reason that many garden owners choose to go for retaining walls is for flood protection. If you live close to a water body where flooding takes place, it could help to build a retaining wall to ensure that your garden can remain not only safe but in top-notch condition even during flooding conditions.
- Channelizing Runoff Properly: Another benefit that a retaining wall can provide you with is properly channelling excess runoff water.
- Marking Your Lawn’s Boundary: Of course, a retaining wall can also be used to create a definite boundary for your lawn, which also might end up adding value to your property depending on where you live.
- The Aesthetic Element: Of course, at the end of the day, when done correctly, retaining walls can also beautify your landscape design. Placing the Stackstone Retaining Wall is a great way to add clean, defined lines and elevation changes to your yard. Check out the Stackstone Retaining Wall and other systems available from Barkman Concrete
Retaining Wall Installation
As with all landscape solutions, one of the most challenging questions is how one might go about installation. However, with the right information easily at our fingertips, DIY is usually not too difficult. There is also the option for getting a professional to do it for you. Professional installation would mean that you can relax while someone else does it for you, but at a moderately inflated price.
However, if you want to save a fair bit on installation, you would be glad to know that it isn’t all that hard to install a retaining wall yourself! In that case, all you need to do is find the right guide to show you how exactly to go about it. And if that’s what you’re planning to do, well, you’re in luck! Ornamental Store has prepared the perfect installation manual to guide you through the essential steps to correctly build your retaining wall, whether you need it for functional reasons or purely decorative ones.
Calgary Landscape Supplies
Given all the benefits that a retaining wall can potentially provide you with, plus they last for a long time without needing much maintenance, retaining walls are a great idea to incorporate into your landscaping!
If your searching for Landscape Supplies in Calgary, then visit Ornamental Stone today. All our products are available online, so you can easily have all the materials for your next landscape project delivered right to your house.